I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Gaiden 1.2 patch released. Click here to download!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: IWBTG: An alternative Plot Analysis  (Read 17806 times)

Amber

• Loving the memory of the ghostly girl
    • View Profile
Re: IWBTG: An alternative Plot Analysis
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 05:04:30 am »

Oh my! I'd never thought I'd get so many compliments, criticisms, and ideas from the idle annals of my moonshine and insanity fueled mine! Thanks so much everyone!

I hadn't noticed the Kid was sixteen, he certainly sounds younger. Well, I'll just correct my synopsis by saying that inwardly, due to his abuse at the hands of the Father, he's inwardly young. Yep. As for the spelling mistakes, I wouldn't be surprised... A lot of my mistakes are due to my weird uses of words and grammar, so I'll give another thorough checkup! And, well, wow, I didn't expect a response from ya, Kayin, it's great that you liked it! Kohaku is super <3. And also a great muse.

Feel free to use it for anything you like; it's probably got more holes than swiss cheese, but I'd be honoured if you feel like it. =) Either way, if it inspires you to come up with some truly awesome ideas of your own, or you feel it'll work great, take whatever you wish!
In between now and forever.

King of Solomon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 05:30:58 am »

Honestly, I thought The Kid was fifteen.

Also, the errors aren't really a big deal.  I didn't even pick up on most of them until I quoted it in a Firefox window (because it has red underlines rather like word processors).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 05:33:58 am by King of Solomon »

Amber

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008, 04:35:40 am »

I use firefox, hmn... Strange. Well, I'll mess around with it laters, for now I'm probably going to let the topic drop a bit while I tinker around with it.

Saftblander

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 01:31:38 pm »

The kid's weapon is a 'small gun', something you would expect to be used in a game of Cops and Robbers, but why in his own personal quest for power, if it is even truly for that..? A gun is a symbol of destruction, and often masculinity, the small gun implying that the Kid still has to grow into the role of the Guy, among other things. It still doesn't explain why he doesn't use a legendary sword or other fantastic weapon though... But we'll look at that later.

Well, he got that gun from "Grandfather The Guy", so I guess thats the reason he doesn't use a sword.

Tenebrais

• I have a hat too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 02:02:32 pm »

I, personally, would make a point concerning the fact that The Guy looks identical to The Kid save for some more adult touches. I see this as The Kid facing up to becoming a man. He's fifteen - hence going through puberty. The whole game could be based around the perilous trip to adulthood. I'm sure people more inspired than I could connect each of the bosses with issues typically dealt with by a teenager (to take some off the top of my head, Tyson could be a metaphor for violence, Clown Copter being one for authority (note that all three characters are 'bosses' from typical games), Dracula dealing with issues of religion and spirituality, Birdo could refer to gender and sexuality... you get the idea). The Guy being the kid's father relates to the way that, as a young child, the father is often the epitome of manhood - perhaps The Kid still sees things that way. Just look at the name... I Wanna Be The Guy. He wants to be a man. Add in your ideas about him having only a small gun, indicating his sense of non-manliness. The whole game is his journey to adulthood, seen in the context of video games.

Just throwing in my own ideas here.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 07:25:37 pm by Tenebrais »

Rad

• The Guy
  • Radical Dood
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2008, 01:34:12 am »

i thought he was younger than 15.
in that case, it could be showing kids how hard it is to try and become a man, from such a young age.
"I want Rad's dick."

King of Solomon

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2008, 01:51:41 am »

I just checked out IWBTG's intro to be sure.  The second line of it says "On his 15th Birthday," so yeah, The Kid is fifteen.

Amber

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2008, 03:46:10 am »

Hmn, but wouldn't you agree that the symbols of his maturing are distorted and twisted in such a way that his growth from puberty is viewed through a mirror darkly? Hehehe, actually, you've made some good points... I really like your ideas of the bosses being linked to different parts of the journey to adulthood; then the Dragon could be his battle for his own acceptance of the change he made, perhaps? Either way, good points!

Rad

• The Guy
  • Radical Dood
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2008, 03:50:26 am »

oh, i know i'd read that like a katrillion times.
but for some reason i thought it was different, oh well... 15 it is.
"I want Rad's dick."

Tenebrais

• I have a hat too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2008, 09:24:33 am »

Hmn, but wouldn't you agree that the symbols of his maturing are distorted and twisted in such a way that his growth from puberty is viewed through a mirror darkly? Hehehe, actually, you've made some good points... I really like your ideas of the bosses being linked to different parts of the journey to adulthood; then the Dragon could be his battle for his own acceptance of the change he made, perhaps? Either way, good points!

Definitely true about the rather dark portrayal of it all. But then, that could easily be representative of the  fear of becoming an adult that a young teen would feel. After all, the time is approaching when you must leave the soft comforts of having parents tend to you all the time... which could put a double image on The Guy being The Father - The Kid is now proving his independence from his parents, which is probably the largest part of becoming an adult.

Dagnarok

• Neutral Good Moderator
  • Administrator
  • The Guy
  • Commander of the USP Talon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2008, 03:39:25 pm »

And what better way to prove your independence of such by killing your old man? :P
Quote from: Tilyami
Shuu is like the monkey's paw if the monkey's paw was a partridge.

Yule

• Chaotic Evil Moderator
  • The Guy
  • Ooh La La
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2008, 03:53:31 pm »

I think the only way for him to respect himself
WAS to kill his dad. :spikes:
"I'm pretty sure the microwave fucks with my internet, hold on for like a minute thirty to microwave my spaghetti." - Rob Lineback 2014

Amber

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2008, 04:33:03 am »

Also, an interesting notice, but who attacks first? The Guy or the Kid? Although I was originally going to say it was the Guy, I just noticed that most of the time, I shoot him before he fires a single shot, raising the question that since he seems to be kidnapping kids(Why?), why would he attack rather than disarming you, especially given how fragile the Kid is? But, you're dead right about his leaving soft comforts; the entire game seems about hardening the Kid's soft, juevenille skin. Indeed, could it be that the young, happy Kid we see now...  :kid:

Will someday smoke a cigarette, tote a huge gun, and be bossy and manipulative? Or has he chosen to walk his own path? Only time will tell!

He did kill his own father, after all... Very NBK.

Dagnarok

• Neutral Good Moderator
  • Administrator
  • The Guy
  • Commander of the USP Talon
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2008, 12:58:49 pm »

Shouldn't :kid: have the right to choose his own path, seeing that he is now the Guy?  I mean, what universe are we living in by saying he does NOT have the right to do as he pleases after what the :kid: just went through?

Sure, sleeping with hundreds of women is still part of the job description :P But seriously....
Quote from: Tilyami
Shuu is like the monkey's paw if the monkey's paw was a partridge.

7inchflame

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2008, 03:20:59 pm »

Know now he has to Become the MAN... Thats actually a good idea for a sequal. I Wanna Be The Man. What do you guys think?
Pages: 1 [2] 3