I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat button has been eaten. Click here to join in the idling fun!

Author Topic: Need Help With Saves.  (Read 4583 times)

DawnOfEve

• HellFlame
    • View Profile
Need Help With Saves.
« on: May 23, 2010, 12:13:50 pm »

Hi, Im trying to make my own platform like game, inspired by iwbtg. but i dont know how to make the save points and i am looking for some help. also if you could how to load too please. i am using multimedia fusion 2. but am only on demo version til next week when i get money to get full. so all i have access to is arrays and INI, when i try to use array. i write the positions of my player to the XY it saves but when i load it just sets my guy at the top left corner int he walls. help is appreciated. thanks

sgt.D

• Yo dawg !
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help With Saves.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 02:07:17 pm »

http://www.clickteam.com/website/usa/img/uploads/tutorials/download/ini_tutorial.pdf

Google is your friend :)
But if u need any further help with mmf2 i can help you. I can actually recreat all code you can see in iwbtg (except the vertical moving platform)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 02:09:37 pm by sgt.D »

DawnOfEve

• HellFlame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 03:01:27 pm »

ive googled for days and youtube and everything. theres nothing that helped me i got a platform saving tutorial. but it uses click on buttons and arry and slots and all that. and i tried converting it so when you shoot it. but when i hit load it just moves my guy to the top left corner and i have no idea how to get it to place you in the right frame. so if you could please tell me how or send a example of the saving method to me. my email is DawnOfEve.DM@GMail.com. it would help lots

EDIT: oops. lol sorry didnt notice that link, thanks ill look it over

EDIT: This Doesnt work for me... even when i did the tutorial. i followed the steps exactly 4 times  and the ini file wouldnt be created. is this not compatible with vista? or is it that i have demo version of program. but with arrays i can create the file. but i dont know what to do from there
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 03:54:53 pm by SilentLoner »

SilentLoner

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 03:54:09 pm »

Please don't post multiple times in a row. If you have something to add, edit your previous post.

sgt.D

• Yo dawg !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 04:50:54 pm »

Here is an old engine i made which is a bit glitchy but i believe the save points works.
http://www.mediafire.com/?mddkhdzthmn

DawnOfEve

• HellFlame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 07:04:03 pm »

yeah.. i copied this exactly. and my guy just appears at the top left corner all the time... it works in what you gave me. but in mine it just doesnt work.

sgt.D

• Yo dawg !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 02:54:12 am »

In fact when u start your game for the first time, the application will try to load the save position u saved the last time u played. But because it the first time u play and because there isnt any data in you're save file (because u have never shot at the save point)  , he will automaticaly load your position to (0;0). Thats why u gotta make a detector at (0;0) : if players collides this dectector =>set his position to the place u want him to be at the very start of the game.

DawnOfEve

• HellFlame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 05:53:23 pm »

its not that i run fine but when i save and then hit R to try and load it just puts me up there

sgt.D

• Yo dawg !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 11:34:43 am »

U beter send my u're mmf2 file : I'll fix it for u and then explain what went wrong

DawnOfEve

• HellFlame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 10:05:54 am »

okay, ill send
EDIT:its pretty large...130MB
heres the link
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MBN7GZJ9
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 11:31:30 am by DawnOfEve »

sgt.D

• Yo dawg !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 04:22:57 am »

Ok ... So i've tried to fix as much problems as i can cause i don't have much time :
- the save points works now
- the animation of death is remade cause the old one was glitchy
- the traps are also remade cause they were working only once ( i only fixed the first trap )
- the game over screen is also remade => no need of strings ?!
- for the fact that it's large : i didn't fix it but here's what u have to do : convert wav into ogg or beter try to convert to mid files. just convert the songs cause these are the ones who take much space.
ps: u can find great mid files here : http://www.vgmusic.com/ so u don't have to bother finding a converter.
- the bullet were coming out of the sprite's head : i just changed the action spot on the sprite
-for less codes i made u're spikes and traps to only one behavior : the crunched apple
-The jump engine is reworked : when u falled from a block u couldn't jump into the air like in iwbtg

I only reworked the first screen cause i believe now u can do the others alone

There is still many things to rework but i hope this will help u to see where were some glitches

Download DawnOfEve, PF.mfa from FileFactory.com

DawnOfEve

• HellFlame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 02:16:47 pm »

wow man, thanks. ill see if i can work off what you gave me. thanks a ton
EDIT: wait.. i looked at it.. and it doesnt work.... as soon as i start it still just puts me up at top left corner....
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 02:24:31 pm by DawnOfEve »

sgt.D

• Yo dawg !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 03:15:50 pm »

just make a new event
If Player's Xposition = 0  => set position of player at (76,405)

ps :Player is the invisible sprite u control ( in this case the red cube i think )

DawnOfEve

• HellFlame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 07:20:52 am »

alright ill give it a try