I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Gaiden 1.2 patch released. Click here to download!

Author Topic: Dave Awesome Versus the Thieving Alien Scumbags  (Read 2800 times)

bedroomcoder

• Tosser
    • View Profile
    • Vacillating Dichotomy
Dave Awesome Versus the Thieving Alien Scumbags
« on: August 07, 2010, 12:54:19 pm »

Nothing to do with IWBTG, it's a platform game I made a while back for a competition. Starring my mascot Dave Awesome, you need to get all the Bank of England's gold bars back from the alien invaders.

Art style is deliberate - I wanted a really chunky, almost Lego feel. I also made it so that everything other than the player and the enemies is made on the fly out of the same parts when putting a level together, so others could make their own games if they wanted to.

Anyway, enough rambling. Here's the download link.

In case you're wondering why I've put it here, in addition to being my way of saying "hello", people complained that the upper path, "Hard Way" was too hard. I presume people here won't find it a problem. Top score is only 8000 points or so.

Also - has there been a score-attack IWBTG fangame yet?  :)

Storyyeller

• The Guy
    • View Profile
Re: Dave Awesome Versus the Thieving Alien Scumbags
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 04:20:02 pm »

Most fangames don't have scores. There are time attacks though.

bedroomcoder

• Tosser
    • View Profile
    • Vacillating Dichotomy
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 05:28:42 pm »

Well, I was thinking (and please stop me if this is a stupid idea) of a score-attack IWBTG. With levels (so an obstacle course game), and an ever-decreasing score to contend with. And super-secret items to boost the score.

I thought that would be a good twist.. :)

Wolsk

• Wolsky McKitty :3
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 08:21:40 pm »

This doesn't belong here.
It is obviously not a fangame.
yeah
ebola is super funny lol
EBOLA (i still lmfao)

bedroomcoder

• Tosser
    • View Profile
    • Vacillating Dichotomy
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 01:39:01 am »

If I've spoken out of turn, please delete the game. I thought that Other Games meant ANY other games, but if I'm wrong, I'm wrong... :(

SilentLoner

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 07:31:33 am »

Where does it say that only fangames belong here, Wolsk? This board is for any game that either you've made yourself or someone you know did.

bedroomcoder

• Tosser
    • View Profile
    • Vacillating Dichotomy
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 03:46:05 pm »

Not wishing to create a new topic for a game that's not done yet, I can say that I am making a fangame now.

It's going to be score-based, and I have taken into account most of the things that piss me off about some of the fangames:

1) Too many freaking spikes
2) Too many sadistic traps
3) Having to replay whole chunks of the game
4) Repetitive scenery/recycled scenery

There will be spikes and cherries in my fangame, but only in 1 or 2 screens, because I think everyone's sick to death of them...

Valkema

• Anonly Asia O_O
  • The Guy
  • What. I'm busy right now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 04:24:22 pm »

you can have all that stuff that makes you mad as long as you do everything in a funny way, most fan games lack humor in there traps. I suggest if you are going to make this into a fangame make humorus traps, and work on your level design, it kinda sucks(no offense). Also give the character a hitbox because being able to hang from a ledge by your hat is just stupid.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 08:58:14 pm by Anonymous52555 »

bedroomcoder

• Tosser
    • View Profile
    • Vacillating Dichotomy
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 04:42:47 pm »

Fair do's. This game does suck, but I made it in 4 days. I am putting proper effort into this one, and will come up with some devious/cruel/funny traps.

I just don't want to repeat too much that's been done in other fangames. Oh, and yeah the hitbox sucks in this game - I've got it nailed down now. No more hanging from extremities... *facepalm*

There's a ton I'd fix about this game, but I'd rather move on and apply my lessons to another one. :D

So - hitbox has been sorted, and the game's going to take me weeks to make at least. So it should be much better. :)