I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Gaiden 1.2 patch released. Click here to download!

Poll

4-player local capability?

Yes
No

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Detonation Zone V2  (Read 22042 times)

YoSniper

• Code blooded. Check it and see.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Detonation Zone V2
« on: August 09, 2010, 11:04:44 pm »

Well, after taking almost two years hiatus from this game, I've decided to completely rebuild it from scratch. In doing this, I also incorporated multiplayer mechanics (just 2-player local, but better than just single player, right?)

Just so everyone knows the current status of the game, I am working on re-designing a lot of stages to create a better difficulty curve, and likely get rid of the need for the tutorial stages. Also because I have had so few ideas and input regarding survival stages and boss rounds, I think I'm just going to scrap those concepts and leave them out of the game.

However, there is also good news: I have added some new elements into the game, namely launch pads, lava, and electric fences that turn on and off. In addition, I do intend to continue with the concept of multiplayer down the road, and at some point I hope to add in some versus modes (maybe even including 4-player?)

I will leave up the link to alpha 8.1 in the meantime just so people have it as a sort of benchmark.

Alpha 8 is ready, and includes 10 single player levels as well as 4 co-op levels. Level 5 of single player is a laser survival level, and level 10 features the first boss (although the sprites are very primitive right now.)
EDIT: A couple of bugs were discovered in alpha 8, namely problems with the control scheme involving the mag boots and gravity bomb, as well as only one player dying in co-op when the timer struck zero. Said bugs have been fixed as far as I can tell.

Download alpha 8.1:http://www.mediafire.com/?e607n3rb18nnd4c

Video Preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTjSEwYBWfY

Default controls:
Player 1
Left, Right, Up, Down: Arrow keys
Jump/Confirm: Z
Throw/Cling/Cancel: X
Crouch: C
Pause: Esc

Player 2
Left, Right, Up, Down: Numpad 4, 6, 8, and 5 respectively
Jump/Confirm: J
Throw/Cling/Cancel: K
Crouch: L
Pause: Backspace

Level Editor
When you save a level, the game will generate a file in the User Levels directory with a .dzd extension. If you wish to submit a level to me (which may end up in the final main game,) then send me the .dzd file to yosniper@gmail.com.

To import someone else's level into your library, save the .dzd file in the User Levels directory, then open up userlevels.txt and add the level name and author name to the list as per the instructions at the end of the file. Save userlevels.txt, and the next time you go to your user levels in the game, the level will be listed and you can play it.

Premise
Taxpayer dollars are no longer used to fund prisons, and as a result, the conditions in prisons have become extremely violent and savage. Convicts now have an alternative option to living out their sentence in these horrible facilities, and that is to survive the obstacles of Detonation Zone. If they win, they earn their release. If they lose, well then nobody will have to worry about feeding or tending to them again anyway.
This is the basic storyline, but honestly, I'm done trying to write a thrilling, action-packed script. I'm not a playwright or a Theater major, and I've decided to go back to a comic-book style story sequence with a fuck-ton of blanks for the player to fill in.

PROPER CREDIT GOES TO...
Tony A. Saele, Indigo, CincinnatiKid (Sprites and Backgrounds)
Roland La Goy (Sound and Music)
tealgamemaster (Voice Actor)
arcticfox, MetaKnightKirby2, Rawrzaur (Testers)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 05:49:43 pm by YoSniper »
I don't traverse the forums as much anymore. Follow me on Twitter if you want to keep tabs on me!

Twitter: @YoSniperGames
Twitch: yosniper

Streams happen whenever I feel like it.

Indigo Blue

• That fucking chilean dude
    • View Profile
Re: Detonation Zone *Work In Progress*
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 11:10:56 pm »

cool, i have seen the progress of this game already on your youtube account, i think is a really grat game so far, and i think is going to be really hard (at least for me, i suck at puzzles)

keep on the good work.
"im going to write this here so i dont have to say it always:
SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH"

YoSniper

• View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Re: Detonation Zone *Work In Progress*
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 04:22:58 pm »

Ok, so first obstacle out of the way. The player can now rotate the chamber with the Mag Boots power-up just fine. I'll start implementing more power-ups and the first beta could be just a month away.

I finally got the spoilers and images to work, so here are some previews:

« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 04:34:39 pm by YoSniper »
I don't traverse the forums as much anymore. Follow me on Twitter if you want to keep tabs on me!

Indigo Blue

• View Profile
Re: Detonation Zone *Work In Progress* (1st beta!)
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 09:55:56 am »

its an Amazing game, and i think im going to LPit (if my computer doesnt decide to fuck everything up)
i love the puzzles in the game, the music is fantastic and i lold at charmeldancar when you beat the level xD.

but you should add some shadows of some sort, because sometimes jump its confusing because i dont really know how close or far the next platform im jumping on is

sorry for my english >.<

but overall its a grat game
SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH"

YoSniper

• View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 10:23:33 am »

but you should add some shadows of some sort, because sometimes jump its confusing because i dont really know how close or far the next platform im jumping on is

I understand, and yes I will be adding shadows in subsequent betas. I just have so much work ahead of me that I want to make sure that all of the objects work before I worry about the shadow sprites.

ALSO TO ANYONE WHO'S INTERESTED, I NEED SPRITES FOR THE BACKBOARD IN THE CHAMBERS FOR THE FOLLOWING COLOR SCHEMES:

Metallic blue
Green house
On fire
Dark tunnel

IF YOU FEEL LIKE DRAWING SUCH A SPRITE, MAKE SURE THAT IT'S 640X640 PIXELS AND NOT JUST A BLAND COLOR LIKE MINE. THANKS TO ANYONE WHO CONTRIBUTES.

Storyyeller

• The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 11:43:37 am »

This looks like a potentially cool game, but why is the camera so choppy?

YoSniper

• View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 11:45:22 am »

This looks like a potentially cool game, but why is the camera so choppy?

I'm in the process of coding a good camera. I know the current auto camera sucks, but at present I am at a loss for a better system. I recommend just using the manual camera for now and control it with IJKL.

Indigo Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 11:58:10 am »

First part of My LP of your game :p

im going to make the whole beta

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6yW5HyvUag

its going to be in HD like in 2 minutes or so
SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH"

YoSniper

• View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 03:46:59 pm »

PROGRESS REPORT:

After the release of the 1st beta, I have managed to accomplish the following:

- Automatic camera that is NOT choppy. It may not necessarily be the optimal solution, but it's loads better than the beta 1 automatic camera.

- Ladder objects are now complete. The player will not travel straight through them while coming in at any particular angle (unless arcticfox1985 figures out a way.)

- Encrypted levels. The main levels in the game will be encrypted in "dzd" files (Detonation Zone Data,) which means that messing with them will pretty much destroy the game. In short, don't do that.

- There is now one tutorial level ready to go (the basics.) I just need my voice actress to provide certain sound bits to complete it. I'm hoping to include more than one tutorial in the 2nd beta, but that depends on whether or not my sprite artist can get me the plasm cloud sprite.

- A fifth track has been added to the list of possible tracks that play in the main chambers. There is also a title theme for the main menu.

SHORT TERM GOALS:
- Incorporate moving platforms and switches.
- Make episode 01 available for 2nd beta
- Create save/load files (also encrypted.)
- Create level editor so you guys can help provide puzzles at your leisure.

I hope you guys are enjoying the game so far. Beta 2 should be out by Halloween, though I would hope for a sooner release date.

Indigo Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 03:52:52 pm »

PROGRESS REPORT:

After the release of the 1st beta, I have managed to accomplish the following:

- Automatic camera that is NOT choppy. It may not necessarily be the optimal solution, but it's loads better than the beta 1 automatic camera.

- Ladder objects are now complete. The player will not travel straight through them while coming in at any particular angle (unless arcticfox1985 figures out a way.)

- Encrypted levels. The main levels in the game will be encrypted in "dzd" files (Detonation Zone Data,) which means that messing with them will pretty much destroy the game. In short, don't do that.

- There is now one tutorial level ready to go (the basics.) I just need my voice actress to provide certain sound bits to complete it. I'm hoping to include more than one tutorial in the 2nd beta, but that depends on whether or not my sprite artist can get me the plasm cloud sprite.

- A fifth track has been added to the list of possible tracks that play in the main chambers. There is also a title theme for the main menu.

SHORT TERM GOALS:
- Incorporate moving platforms and switches.
- Make episode 01 available for 2nd beta
- Create save/load files (also encrypted.)
- Create level editor so you guys can help provide puzzles at your leisure.

I hope you guys are enjoying the game so far. Beta 2 should be out by Halloween, though I would hope for a sooner release date.

are you going to add a shadow sprite for the player >.<
because is REALLY confusing
SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH"

YoSniper

• View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 04:28:01 pm »

NO WAY!!!

Just kidding. Of course I will. That will also be in the next beta. I just forgot to list it.

Indigo Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 04:45:47 pm »

NO WAY!!!

Just kidding. Of course I will. That will also be in the next beta. I just forgot to list it.

THANKS!!!

:P
SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH"

YoSniper

• View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Re: Detonation Zone *Work In Progress* (2nd beta!)
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 08:48:12 pm »

PROGRESS REPORT:

Reported glitches in beta 2:
Ladder warp --> If you approach a sideways-facing ladder from a certain angle, you can warp to the top or bottom
Pass through ladder --> If you are next to a sideways facing ladder, but facing frontwards or backwards (perpendicular to the ladder), then you can pass through it (usually from the right side)
Explosion during Rotation Error --> If the crystal is destroyed, as by spikes, and the chamber is rotating when the player explodes, then an error occurs.

ALL THESE GLITCHES HAVE BEEN FIXED IN THE GMK FILE SO FAR.

Additional Progress:

- Plasm Clouds working
- Nudge camera feature (With auto camera, the controls can still nudge the camera a little bit. The camera springs back when those keys are released. This will also likely replace the option of auto camera vs. manual camera.)
- Three levels of episode 2 have been created.

GOALS FOR BETA 3:
- Level editor option, to allow beta testers and other willing puzzle-makers to contribute their own levels.
- All tutorial levels available
- Episodes 0 through 2 complete

REQUESTS FOR THE FORUM:
- I need backboard sprites while my sprite artist is busy working on cutscenes. The current backboard sprites are my work and THEY SUCK. Please contribute a 640x640 square image that corresponds to one of the following color schemes:

1) Plain gray metal
2) Scabs all over (Think of it like the blood of previous players decorates the surfaces.)
3) Cold and blue (Deep blue color scheme, maybe a blue skull on a silver background?
4) Green house (Emerald-like pattern)
5) Hot foot (Fiery orange, red, and yellow blazes)
6) Dark Tunnel (Dark gray, maybe a light towards the end of the tunnel?)
7) Rubik's Cube (White face with a slightly noticeable pattern across it.)

THANKS IN ADVANCE TO ANYONE WHO CONTRIBUTES. YOU WILL BE MENTIONED.

arcticfox1985

Re: Detonation Zone *Work In Progress* (3rd Alpha)
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 09:22:24 am »

This version looks so much more polished than any of the previous ones. I'm just concerned that being able to see through some blocks may generate massive lag. It may be my computer though.

I think you should add a practice mode of some sort in future versions. I should be able to start explaining any kinks I find sometime tonight.

Good luck with (real world) work! I'll try my best to learn the level editor to supplement what time you can't dedicate to this game.

Fred-eye-inc

Re: Detonation Zone *Work In Progress* (3rd Alpha)
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 01:48:25 pm »

It sounds really good and from what i've seen it looks good. My comp is broke and i can't download anything on this one so that sucks >.>

I'll grab it when i can!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6