I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat button has been eaten. Click here to join in the idling fun!

Poll

4-player local capability?

Yes
No

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Detonation Zone V2  (Read 22537 times)

MetaKK

• PRO-Tier
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Detonation Zone V2 *ALPHA 5, WITH LEVEL EDITOR*
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2013, 11:53:42 pm »

So I've searched around for a bit and it seems like there is no way to turn spikes in an angle towards the camera (Like the fan does if you put it all the way to the back, right on top of the wall, I don't really know how to describe it). Adding that for future releases would be nice.

EDIT: I got the same error i got earlier with the flipper, but this time with a reactor.

ERROR in
action number 1
of Draw Event
for object world:

In script drawHologram:
Error in code at line 67:
                                   getRelativeCoordinate(x, y, chamber.angle, 1) - z*camera.vert/30, 1, ysc, angle, c_white, 0.5);
                                                                                                        ^
at position 103: Unknown variable ysc

I'm just gonna assume it has the same cause and is therefore fixed already, but again, it can't hurt to report it.

Hopefully the next version won't crash every 2 seconds. I have some nice ideas for levels, but if you're almost done, just need to save and something like this happens - It's more than aggravating i can tell you that much

Looking forward to Alpha 6 and an improved Level Editor!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 12:25:27 am by MetaKK »

YoSniper

• Code blooded. Check it and see.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2013, 09:04:56 am »

By "crash every two seconds," are you referring to the errors that keep popping up? Or does the game literally stall and crash? I'm really hoping it's the former.
I don't traverse the forums as much anymore. Follow me on Twitter if you want to keep tabs on me!

Twitter: @YoSniperGames
Twitch: yosniper

Streams happen whenever I feel like it.

MetaKK

• PRO-Tier
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2013, 11:11:53 am »

Nah i was just exaggerating a bit. I meant the errors by that and they're not really that common, but always seem to pop up as soon as i think "So, I've tested out everything and avoided every bug i know of. Now let's test th- ... " *crash*.

Can you already provide a date for the next release? Don't wanna rush you or anything, take your time, I'm just asking.

YoSniper

• View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2013, 11:56:14 am »

Nah i was just exaggerating a bit. I meant the errors by that and they're not really that common, but always seem to pop up as soon as i think "So, I've tested out everything and avoided every bug i know of. Now let's test th- ... " *crash*.

Can you already provide a date for the next release? Don't wanna rush you or anything, take your time, I'm just asking.

I don't have a date set just yet. Basically, I want to make some headway on either a boss/survival level or a cutscene before I release the next alpha. I've gotten started on some cutscene details, although it's really rough because I'm drawing these myself for the time being.

Feel free to pitch ideas for a boss/survival segment as well (and I'm talking to the entire community, of course.) I have some ideas, but no idea what to draw for them, and I fear my own lack of artistic skills.
I don't traverse the forums as much anymore. Follow me on Twitter if you want to keep tabs on me!

MetaKK

• PRO-Tier
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2013, 09:54:28 am »

First of all I just wanna say that it's really a shame that seemingly nobody cares about this game. Fun and innovative puzzle game concepts are so rare these days, and when finally a really good one rolls around, everyone ignores it. A simple opinion is all you need to express people! At least try it out...

As for the boss ideas I have a few questions:

- The timer is always present in the levels and therefore is probably an important part in the game engine, so are we (Again, people, say something! Such an opportunity doesn't come every day D:) limited with the ideas on an endurance boss or is it possible to provide some ideas that ignore the time?
  • Not that a time limit for a non-endurance boss wouldn't be possible, quite the opposite actually, but whether or not there's a time limit greatly influences the pattern the boss has to have in order for it to be beatable.

- Are the plotline and the cutscenes fully planned out already or can we suggest some of these as well? (A certain boss needs a fitting introduction, I have some ideas for that but the concept isn't finished yet so before i work on it any further I just wanna make you sure you even accept them)

Sadly I can't help you out with the artwork as I'm probably worse at drawing than you are. (No offense though, I really love the simple design of Zoop/Brisulph in your fangames!)

Hopefully you'll find someone for that.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 10:05:53 am by MetaKK »

YoSniper

• View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2013, 10:58:35 am »

- The timer is always present in the levels and therefore is probably an important part in the game engine, so are we (Again, people, say something! Such an opportunity doesn't come every day D:) limited with the ideas on an endurance boss or is it possible to provide some ideas that ignore the time?
  • Not that a time limit for a non-endurance boss wouldn't be possible, quite the opposite actually, but whether or not there's a time limit greatly influences the pattern the boss has to have in order for it to be beatable.
The timer will always be present in strictly puzzle levels and user-generated levels. It does not necessarily need to be present for boss levels, so boss ideas are not limited to simply endurance. I could take the timer out for those levels if the idea for the boss would require it.

Current ideas I have for boss/survival stages include:
- A Thwomp-like boss that scouts back and forth and tries to crush the player. For this, I was considering having the player collect Crystal Bomb power-ups and then deposit the crystal into the boss before it explodes in order to do damage (3 or so hits would do it.)
- A survival segment where electric streams generate at the back of the level and move forward. The player would have to rotate the chamber to find the right area to stand in order to avoid all of the streams.
- A robot boss at the back fires homing missiles, and the player must use the missiles to destroy power cores that provide power to the boss within a limited amount of time.

- Are the plotline and the cutscenes fully planned out already or can we suggest some of these as well? (A certain boss needs a fitting introduction, I have some ideas for that but the concept isn't finished yet so before i work on it any further I just wanna make you sure you even accept them)

Bits and pieces are set in my mind, but very little has been put into the game yet. Right now, I have the introductory story written out (the one that plays when the game starts up,) and at least one midway cutscene.

The storyboard for the intro cutscene is as follows:

Image 1: Tank in foreground and silhouettes of airplanes in the sky (war zone)
The year is 2120. War and corruption are endless, and with all of the recent military upgrades, worse than ever.

Image 2: Bus exploding on a city intersection
Terrorism continues to creep up all over the world, more commonly now within our own borders.

Image 3: Chamber being constructed as military personnel oversee the project
To counteract the domestic threat, the government has come up with a new way to make an example of the terrorists and combat the threat.

Image 4: Convict running through a chamber, fear in his eyes
Terrorists are made to fight for their lives while a live audience watches on, eagerly awaiting the explosion. The only thing driving the convicts to succeed is the faint glimmer of hope that they can earn their release by overcoming the obstacles.

Image 5: Explosion in chamber in background, camera zooms out to cheering crowd in foreground
But every time that bomb goes off, justice is served.... or so I once thought.

Image 6: Silhouetted government onlookers behind glass in surveillance room
Little do these people in the audience know how corrupt their own government has become, and what they will do to silence those who oppose them.

Image 7: Poorly-lit shot of player in cell. Eyes open
I know, because I'm the next contestant...

[redacted]

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2013, 05:18:11 pm »

Image 1: Tank in foreground and silhouettes of airplanes in the sky (war zone)
The year is 2120. War and corruption are endless, and with all of the recent military upgrades, worse than ever.

Image 2: Bus exploding on a city intersection
Terrorism continues to creep up all over the world, more commonly now within our own borders.

Image 3: Chamber being constructed as military personnel oversee the project
To counteract the domestic threat, the government has come up with a new way to make an example of the terrorists and combat the threat.

Image 4: Convict running through a chamber, fear in his eyes
Terrorists are made to fight for their lives while a live audience watches on, eagerly awaiting the explosion. The only thing driving the convicts to succeed is the faint glimmer of hope that they can earn their release by overcoming the obstacles.

Image 5: Explosion in chamber in background, camera zooms out to cheering crowd in foreground
But every time that bomb goes off, justice is served.... or so I once thought.

Image 6: Silhouetted government onlookers behind glass in surveillance room
Little do these people in the audience know how corrupt their own government has become, and what they will do to silence those who oppose them.

Image 7: Poorly-lit shot of player in cell. Eyes open
I know, because I'm the next contestant...

10/10 Storyline.

Sephalos

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2013, 03:01:22 am »

This game really reminds me of The Blast Chamber, a old classic for the playstation. Really cool.

YoSniper

• View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Re: Detonation Zone V2 *ALPHA 6 [PRIVATE]*
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2013, 09:45:01 pm »

Alpha 6 is ready, but private. I'd like to limit the number of people who can see future alphas, so if you're interested in testing and being a part of the team, PM me.

YoSniper

• View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2013, 11:50:22 am »

For those interested in the furthering of this game, I've been given some advice from my sprite artist that I feel I should relay to you and spark a discussion.

I know that the introductory cutscene in alpha 6 is cheesy. The graphics are poor, and the narration is definitely sub-par. And given the current trends, I don't see any improvement on cutscenes in the future.

My sprite artist recommends that I take out the cutscenes altogether and replace them with different gimmicks so the player can put the pieces of the story together in their own mind if they so choose to. Such new gimmicks would include digital billboards in the background that change depending on the situation or the stage.

I want your input on this because I don't want to slave away at drawing graphics if the end result is not going to bring the hits.

[redacted]

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2013, 02:36:40 pm »

For those interested in the furthering of this game, I've been given some advice from my sprite artist that I feel I should relay to you and spark a discussion.

I know that the introductory cutscene in alpha 6 is cheesy. The graphics are poor, and the narration is definitely sub-par. And given the current trends, I don't see any improvement on cutscenes in the future.

My sprite artist recommends that I take out the cutscenes altogether and replace them with different gimmicks so the player can put the pieces of the story together in their own mind if they so choose to. Such new gimmicks would include digital billboards in the background that change depending on the situation or the stage.

I want your input on this because I don't want to slave away at drawing graphics if the end result is not going to bring the hits.
I think I rather take the cutscenes. I don't see any point in taking them out, they really appeal to me.

YoSniper

• View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Re: Detonation Zone V2 *SEEKING BOSS/SURVIVAL INPUT*
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2013, 04:58:57 pm »

Currently seeking boss/survival ideas. The floor is open.

And sorry, Starz0r, the cutscene thing is just too much work and the majority of feedback is telling me they're not worth the effort. The storyline is too deep, and it would be much easier to have a loose framework for the story and have the user fill in the blanks.

[redacted]

• View Profile
Re: Detonation Zone V2 *SEEKING BOSS/SURVIVAL INPUT*
« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2013, 06:54:46 pm »

I like the idea of a core in the middle of the room while it beams electricity at you.

YoSniper

• View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Re: Detonation Zone V2 *ALPHA 8*
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2013, 12:28:08 pm »

After a long debate with myself, I figured I should post an update to this game here, no matter how little feedback I get for it.

For those of you who follow the game closely, I thank you for your patience and input.

patrickgh

• very good poster
    • View Profile
Re: Detonation Zone V2 *ALPHA 8*
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2013, 07:02:31 pm »

Take all this with a grain of salt because I'm nowhere near an expert on game design. I'm probably wrong about some things.

I finally decided to try this game out after seeing it now and then, and it was more fun than I expected. I feel like levels 7 and 9 captured the spirit of the game. They were a nice mix of challenging platforming / dodging and figuring out what to do. Plus the room flipper kicker things felt integrated rather than thrown on at the end. I feel the same way about levels 1-3, they're good introductory levels.

I really liked the boss design. And the difficulty was pretty balanced. It felt natural figuring out how to damage it, but it took me too long to figure out that I needed to hurt it on all sides twice. I think there should be more feedback when its side gets damaged and destroyed, both visually and audibly.

I feel that most of the powerups are extraneous to exploring the core ideas of the game. I guess the main idea is the room-flipping mechanic, and its sub-ideas are solving puzzles with it and doing platforming / challenges with it, and another general idea of doing all this under time pressure / figuring out how to do it quickly / being skilled enough to do it quickly. If some part of the game doesn't explore these ideas, I don't think it should be in the game, since it makes it feel clunky and overly complicated. Ideally each mechanic should integrate with multiple or all aspects of the game. I think that lot of them wouldn't provide many interesting puzzles or challenges later on, and therefore would feel "gimmicky." Then again, I've only played the tutorial levels for each of them, so it's possible that they would work well with other mechanics in later levels.

Here's a somewhat relevant talk by Jon Blow (creator of Braid, The Witness) called Truth in Game Design. It's the typical super-high-level philosophical (pretentious?) Jon Blow talk, but I found it very interesting. http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1014982/Truth-in-Game

On a similar note, I personally would prefer it if there were no "tutorials" and instead new mechanics / powerups were introduced gradually throughout the campaign. I'm immediately thinking of Portal. In Portal, 80% of the game is a tutorial, but it doesn't feel like a chore like traditional tutorials do. You're solving puzzles, teaching yourself things, learning as you go.

Ok, enough with game design stuff I guess. I'm very impressed that you made the pseudo-3D graphics in Game Maker. I assume it's super complicated.

Also some thoughts on things. I really love participating in game jams because it's fun, you're with others, and you get to give and receive friendly feedback from your peers. Ludum Dare (http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/about-ludum-dare/) is a huge one that I love, and since coming to college I've been part of a video game development club and talking to friends there about game design, programming, art, etc. has been really really great. Also I don't know anything about GMC Jams other than that they exist, so maybe you'd like those. Point is there are better places for feedback than here I guess. And also do game jams. I know nothing about you or how you feel about this project, but I have felt and have seen others feel really bogged down working on a project over multiple years, and it seems more detrimental to unhappily trudge through and finish the project than to just call it done and move on to other better things. Game jams are also a great way to take a break from a huge project.

Sorry these thoughts are so disorganized
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6