I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Gaiden 1.2 patch released. Click here to download!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: The Rules of Making a Good Fangame  (Read 51005 times)

YoSniper

• Code blooded. Check it and see.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Re: The Rules of Making a Good Fangame
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 05:09:10 pm »

I think people shouldn't expect a fangame to be done in a week i think they need to accept that to make a decent fangame a year might even be too early.

Six months if you dedicate at least 40 hours a week to it.

Maybe.....
I don't traverse the forums as much anymore. Follow me on Twitter if you want to keep tabs on me!

Twitter: @YoSniperGames
Twitch: yosniper

Streams happen whenever I feel like it.

Fred-eye-inc

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 05:10:40 pm »

I suppose your right yoSniper. But i mean at a more casual pace. I dedicate that much but mostly on art , i'm making all the art for my game you see >.> It's killing me.

YoSniper

• View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 07:35:00 pm »

I suppose your right yoSniper. But i mean at a more casual pace. I dedicate that much but mostly on art , i'm making all the art for my game you see >.> It's killing me.

Yeah, the graphics seem to be the most time-consuming. I'm lucky that I have sprite artists willing to contribute to my games while I stay busy with the concept. Hooray for teamwork!
I don't traverse the forums as much anymore. Follow me on Twitter if you want to keep tabs on me!

Fred-eye-inc

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 07:36:44 pm »

Muahah! Yes I do sprite work for games and it ends up taking forever to get too my own games xD

Also any mods/admins willing to sticky this topic?

Ae Zi

• My smile is but a mask...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 09:57:31 pm »

I'll make sure to break every one of these rules when I make the "The Apple That Cannot Be Dodge" game that was suggested to me before. It could be created to serve as an example of a bad fangame >.>

Though, I still need to figure out how.
Quote from: Richard
Ae Zi is now officially the best new guy.

SMITING + CHOCOLATE = HAPPINESS

"Knowing is knowledge." -My tired friend

Storyyeller

• The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 11:06:10 pm »

What's really frustrating is that the art still takes forever for me, even though I'm ripping it from other games.

Some games aren't too bad, but Ecco The Dolphin is driving me crazy! I think I've spent weeks ripping stuff and I'm still not finished.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 11:08:18 pm by Storyyeller »

Fred-eye-inc

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2010, 03:19:02 am »

I'll make sure to break every one of these rules when I make the "The Apple That Cannot Be Dodge" game that was suggested to me before. It could be created to serve as an example of a bad fangame >.>

Though, I still need to figure out how.
if you read a little bit back you'll find I'm knee deep in making my own shit fangame that also explains why each room is shit to serve as am example.

Miracle

• Guy, did you murder Rita?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2010, 07:01:58 am »

Great graphics don't make a great game, But bad graphics make a bad game, So rip your spites/tiles with detail and quality. 

Fred-eye-inc

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2010, 07:05:22 am »

Great graphics don't make a great game, But bad graphics make a bad game, So rip your spites/tiles with detail and quality. 
Good point. I see so many games that have good potential but are let down by crappy sprites.

Valkema

• Anonly Asia O_O
  • The Guy
  • What. I'm busy right now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2010, 02:58:43 pm »

Good point. I see so many games that have good potential but are let down by crappy sprites.
Bad graphics do not maek a bad game, if you care for graphics then stop playing games. Graphics can only help a game.

Fred-eye-inc

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2010, 03:00:31 pm »

What i mean is graphics can really affect a game. I've played a game that you could barely see the sprites and they well all cut up so it was almost impossible to play.

Miracle

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2010, 01:39:43 pm »

Bad graphics do not maek a bad game, if you care for graphics then stop playing games. Graphics can only help a game.

You sir have obviously no potential of making a good fangame; what you say is for the 'shitty' fangames,
Which won't be very hard to find either. I agree also that what most people say that around 95% of fangames are 'shitty' and that rate is slowly decreasing and increasing.
God help us all when the day comes when that number becomes 99%. So many fangames now-a-days, Its hard to understand which are stupidly boring and extremely entertaining... Damn do I miss those days when we would rarely get one single bad fangame a month, days when ultimatum, tribute and GB first hit the boards. *sigh* >_>

Valkema

• Anonly Asia O_O
  • The Guy
  • What. I'm busy right now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2010, 06:47:17 pm »

Miracle, If a game has bad graphics does that mean the game sucks. Graphics are a miner part of the game, if the graphics don't affect the game play then why would they affect the game. If you see a game with graphics that look like they were hand drawn and you turn down the game for that then your stupid. Its whether the game is fun or not that matters to me not silly graphics. Now I never said I was going to make a fangame with bad graphics.

YoSniper

• View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2010, 12:34:04 am »

Example video of what NOT to do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCI8JtdCFbE

Miracle

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2010, 02:59:51 am »

Miracle, If a game has bad graphics does that mean the game sucks. Graphics are a miner part of the game, if the graphics don't affect the game play then why would they affect the game. If you see a game with graphics that look like they were hand drawn and you turn down the game for that then your stupid. Its whether the game is fun or not that matters to me not silly graphics. Now I never said I was going to make a fangame with bad graphics.

Just watch Yosniper's video.
You'll see what I mean.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5